Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Khoo Teck Puat Hospital shooting


Shooting suspect charged with capital offence
By Rei Kurohi, The Straits Times, 23 Jun 2015

THE 23-year-old Singaporean man who allegedly fired three shots from a policeman's revolver at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital last Saturday was charged yesterday with a capital offence under the Arms Offences Act.

Muhammad Iskandar Sa'at is accused of discharging three rounds from policeman Mohammad Sadli Razali's .38-calibre Taurus revolver some time between 7.03pm and 7.06pm that day, with the intent to cause physical injury. If convicted, he faces the death penalty.

At the time of the offence, Muhammad Iskandar was in police custody for an unrelated charge of motor vehicle theft. He had been charged earlier last Saturday with stealing a white Mitsubishi lorry from a loading bay in Sembawang Drive the day before, along with his accomplice Muhammad Taufiq Jasmi, also 23.

While in custody, Muhammad Iskandar complained of chest pains and was escorted to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital to seek medical attention.

A struggle ensued after he attempted to escape while inside a private room in the hospital, and the shots were fired. The 31-year-old officer whose gun was snatched sustained gunshot wounds to his thumb and foot.

Muhammad Iskandar arrived in court in a police van yesterday afternoon wearing a white polo T-shirt and beige trousers.

His brother and sister-in-law were in court, accompanied by another man and a woman. The accused requested to speak to his sister-in-law, and the prosecution did not object. Bail was not offered and he remains in remand. His case will be mentioned again next Monday.

Asked about the incident at an event yesterday, Second Minister for Home Affairs Masagos Zulkifli said: "It's still before the courts and we have to do our investigation. The findings from this investigation will help us diagnose what the problems are and what kind of correction we may need to make in future."





* Shooting suspect faces two more charges
By Elena Chong, The Straits Times, 30 Jun 2015

THE man accused of firing three rounds from a police revolver at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital was charged with two more offences yesterday.

Muhammad Iskandar Sa'at, 23, is accused of discharging three bullets from a .38-calibre Taurus revolver with intent to injure Staff Sergeant Mohammad Sadli Razali, 31, between 7.03pm and 7.06pm on June 20.

If convicted, he faces the death penalty.

Yesterday, he was also charged with hitting Staff Sgt Sadli multiple times with a T-baton and a metal pole used for securing an intravenous drip some time between 6.53pm and 7pm on the same day, to deter the policeman from doing his duty.

At the time of the offence, Muhammad Iskandar was in police custody for an unrelated charge of motor vehicle theft. While in custody, he complained of chest pains and was escorted to the hospital in Yishun to seek medical help. A struggle ensued after he tried to escape while inside a private room in the hospital.

The other fresh charge yesterday states that he tried to escape from legal custody after he was arrested for stealing a lorry in Sembawang Drive the day before.

The prosecution applied for him to be remanded for psychiatric evaluation.

Before his lawyer stepped into the courtroom, Muhammad Iskandar asked for bail but District Judge Eddy Tham told him he could not go on bail unless the capital charge he was facing was reduced.

His family members have instructed lawyer Shashi Nathan to act for him. Mr Nathan's colleague, Ms Tania Chin, was in court yesterday and had no objections to the three-week remand.

Ms Chin was allowed to speak briefly with Muhammad Iskandar in court. He will return to court on July 20.

The maximum punishment for causing hurt to a public servant is seven years' jail, a fine and caning. If convicted of attempting to escape from legal custody, he can be jailed for up to one year and fined. The maximum punishment for vehicle theft is seven years' jail and a fine plus disqualification from driving.




JUST IN - Khoo Teck Puat shooting: 23-year-old Singaporean who allegedly snatched a revolver of a police officer charged...
Posted by The Straits Times on Sunday, June 21, 2015





Man who snatched officer's revolver faces firearms charge
By Adrian Lim, The Straits Times, 22 Jun 2015

The 24-year-old Singaporean had been arrested for motor vehicle theft, but now faces a charge punishable by the death penalty.
Last Saturday, he tried to escape from Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) and snatched the revolver of the police officer who tried to stop him.

Three shots were fired in the struggle that ensued and the policeman was wounded in his left thumb and right foot.

The case has been classified as an unlawful discharge of firearms under the Arms Offences Act, which carries the death penalty.

The suspect will appear in court at 2pm today, police said last night.

UPDATE TO INCIDENT AT KHOO TECK PUAT HOSPITAL (KTPH) Police have classified the case as one of Unlawful...
Posted by Singapore Police Force on Sunday, June 21, 2015


The man, whose identity has not yet been revealed, had been arrested last Friday - a day before the shooting - and was under remand for further investigation, police revealed.

Last Saturday, he complained of chest pains and was escorted by police officers to KTPH.

He tried to escape from one of the hospital's examination rooms, which are "not accessible to the public", police said.

The 31-year-old police officer whose revolver was snatched was injured in the struggle that followed.

It is believed that the escape attempt took place when the police officer's colleague left the room.

The suspect was subsequently subdued. Two paramedics from Hope Ambulance Service assisted in apprehending the man, The Straits Times has learnt.

The injured police officer was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital for immediate hand microsurgery and is now in stable condition.

When asked about the incident on the sidelines of a grassroots event earlier yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said that any illegal use of firearms was a "serious offence".



Former policemen The Straits Times spoke to raised concerns about whether there were enough police officers with the suspect when the escape attempt took place.

They also asked why the suspect was not taken to the hospital in Changi Prison instead.

Retired officer Lionel de Souza, 72, said: "There should always be at least two police escorts. And on no occasion should either leave."

Saturday night's shooting followed a separate incident about three weeks ago, when police fired on a car that crashed through security barriers near the Shangri-La Hotel. The 34-year- old driver died on the spot.



POLICE STATEMENT ON THE INCIDENT AT KHOO TECK PUAT HOSPITAL Police confirm that shots were fired at Khoo Teck Puat...
Posted by Singapore Police Force on Saturday, June 20, 2015




No comments:

Post a Comment