Friday 17 October 2014

Fandi’s son, Irfan Fandi named one of world’s top 40 young footballers: The Guardian Next Generation 2014

By Dan Guen Chin, TODAY, 16 Oct 2014

The naming of Irfan Fandi as one of world football’s top 40 young talents by Britain’s The Guardian newspaper has come as a surprise to the 17-year-old’s father, Singapore football icon Fandi Ahmad.

Speaking to TODAY, Mr Fandi, who is currently head coach of the LionsXII, said he hopes his eldest son will go on to become a successful and dedicated professional footballer.

Irfan was named in a list of top 40 young talents in world football, alongside five others from the Asian region: China’s Li Zhongyi, Japan’s Daisuke Sakai, South Korea’s Seo Jung-hyun, Vietnam’s Phan Thanh Hau and Daniel Da Silva from Australia.

“It came as a surprise to me,” said Mr Fandi. “I was in the (Football Association of Singapore) office yesterday and people were congratulating me. I ask them why and then only they told me the reason.

“I am sure Irfan didn’t know about it either but I will call him (in Santiago, Chile) later to speak to him.”

Irfan is said to have “a good touch”, said Mr John Duerden, one of the contributors to The Guardian’s list, titled “Next Generation 2014: 40 of the best young talents in world football”, published on Tuesday.

“As well as possessing a good touch, the 17-year-old has spent the last few months training with clubs in Chile,” wrote Mr Duerden. “This gives him the street smarts and the toughness to terrorise defences back in Asia.”

Irfan and his 15-year-old brother Ikhsan are both training with Universidad de Catolica, a club in the top tier of the Chilean league. In late July, Malaysian banking group CIMB signed a six-figure sponsorship deal to cover the duo’s living expenses, schooling and training in Chile.

“I am happy for Irfan. I hope the latest recognition will spur him on in his bid to become a top-notch professional,” said Mr Fandi. “My two sons have made so many sacrifices and they are so determined to make it big in football. They have had to endure some tough times along the way, such as missing home, missing the familiarity of friends and some hard training along the way.

“But they are doing fine, especially Irfan. The club officials told me that he has to potential to make the cut to the first team and I am keeping my fingers crossed.”

Irfan’s inclusion in the list has also been lauded by Mr Teng Wei Ken, football academy head coach at the Singapore Sports School, where he spent two years before heading to Chile.

“Despite displaying enormous talent and potential, Irfan has remained grounded and level-headed. He gets on well with his team-mates and classmates,” said Mr Teng.

“While on the National Football Academy U-16 training of Japan two years ago, opposition coaches told me that he had all the attributes to reach the top as a footballer.

“His first touch is good and he has this uncanny ability to know where the goalmouth is. His aerial ability also stands out. But he still needs to be given all the support he needs in his continued development, though the Sports School is proud of what he has achieved so far.”














'I will keep working hard' to be a good player: Irfan Fandi
Channel NewsAsia, 16 Oct 2014

Following his inclusion in a global list featuring rising footballers to watch, Irfan Fandi said he feels grateful for the opportunity and will continue to work hard to be a "good player".

Irfan, the elder son of legendary Singapore striker Fandi Ahmad, told Channel NewsAsia on Thursday (Oct 16): "I feel very grateful for getting this opportunity because not everyone gets this chance. I've been working very hard to be a good player and I will keep on working hard.

"This wouldn't have been possible without my family, coaches and CIMB for helping me with my education overseas," he added.

The 17-year-old and his younger brother, Ikhsan, are currently training in Chile with Universidad de Catolica, a club in the top tier of the Chilean league. They are under a six-figure sponsorship deal from banking group CIMB to cover their living expenses, schooling and training in Chile.

In an interview with TODAY on Wednesday, Fandi said the news of his son's inclusion in the list "came as a surprise".

"I am happy for Irfan. I hope the latest recognition will spur him on in his bid to become a top-notch professional. The club officials told me that he has to potential to make the cut to the first team and I am keeping my fingers crossed,” he said.


No comments:

Post a Comment