Saturday 1 December 2012

Public libraries offer free use of computers for seniors

By Goh Shi Ting, The Straits Times, 30 Nov 2012

SENIOR citizens can now use computers for free in public libraries.

The Silver Infocomm Hotspot initiative, launched by the National Library Board yesterday, provides an hour's use a day to any Singaporean or permanent resident aged above 50.

All 24 public libraries will have staff on hand to teach the users how to access the library's electronic resources, surf the Internet and check e-mail.

Other visitors pay $1.80 for an hour's use at the multimedia station.

Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs and Culture, Community and Youth, Mr Sam Tan, launched the scheme at Bukit Merah Public Library yesterday and shared his childhood memories of visiting the library.

"The texture of books, smell of paper and feel of the pages formed a big memory of my childhood years... Some people say, 'You are what you eat'. I would like to modify that to 'You are also what you read'," said the Mayor of Central Singapore District.

Libraries have gone high-tech to widen the reading pleasure.

In conjunction with Bukit Merah Public Library's 30th anniversary, it will make available 100 iPads for loan to members.

The iPads will be available on the first and last Friday of each month, starting from today, and the loan comes with a compulsory training session.

Each loan is for 14 days.

"I've learnt how to change the language on the iPad to Chinese," said frequent library-goer Suzy Quek, 66, who just attended the iPad crash course.

"For the next two weeks, the iPad belongs to me and I won't have to use my grandchildren's," she added.

iPads are also available for loan in Bedok Public Library.

Senior citizens gave the thumbs up to the one-hour free use of computers.

"I'm very scared of computers, especially when they hang," said Madam Priscilla Ng, 59. "But I know I have to upgrade myself so that I don't have to rely on other people and see their frustrated faces when I ask questions."

She added that she will visit the library almost every day to enjoy the free service.

No comments:

Post a Comment